Our team of Psychologists, located on the Sunshine Coast, Sydney and Newcastle, offer specialised psychological support and an integrative approach for the whole family.
Often we forget that Psychologists not only work with adults and children who experience anxiety or depression, but also provide expert support to optimise the emotional, physical, mental and social development of children. Our Psychologists work with children and their families to assist with issues such as shyness, attention problems and developmental delays.
There are a variety of different therapies and techniques that can be used to help children deal with psychological and behavioural issues as well as mental health conditions. The aim of therapy is to help children develop resilience, emotional regulation, confidence and skills for managing relationships.
As children think and behave very differently to adults, the expertise of the Psychologist is of paramount importance. Our team of Psychologists have a very special interest and high level of experience in the area of children’s psychology. As well as this, the form of therapy is also very different in children’s psychology, compared to therapies used with adults. Children, and even adolescents, tend to express themselves better through elements of play and creativity, rather than talk therapies. Expressive styles of therapy include:
- Feelings pictures/cards
- Writing and drawing
- Sand play
- Role playing with puppets or figurines
Our Psychologists are confident in supporting your child and your family through a range of situations, including:
- Attention deficit or learning problems like ADD and ADHD
- Autism (including Aspergers)
- Excessive shyness and social withdrawal
- Delayed speech
- Changes to family structure, such as custody and parent separations/divorce
- Recovery following physical, emotional or sexual abuse
- Recovery following a traumatic or life changing event
- Bullying others or the victim of bullying
- Aggressive behaviour
- Nightmares/night terrors
- Unexplained/excessive tantrum-throwing
- Unexplained sadness, anxiety, mood swings, fears and phobias
We would be humbled to help you. You do not need a referral from your doctor to book an appointment with us, however, doing so may attract a medicare rebate. Please contact us for more information about this.